Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Nautyn McKay-Loescher

So former Ticat non-import DE Nautyn McKay-Loescher signed with his former team, the BC Lions. Last year for the Cats, he had a mediocre and injury plagued year (mostly back problems if I recall) with 13 tackles and 2 sacks. The previous year for the Cats, he was significantly better statwise with 17 tackles and 11 sacks (hmmm the year of Denny Creehan is terrible). Sadly the Americans the Cats used for DE last year also sucked. That seems to be a continuing Cat theme, namely underperforming imports, Tony Miles I'm looking at you, but I digress.

I thought I read the terms were $240,000 over the course of two years plus an option, so I assume $80,000 per. Since he is an non-import who has had an 11 sack year in recent history, that's not surprising. Although with DE Cameron Wake leaving for a big signing bonus pile of gold in the NFL this year, one wonders if the Lions will start two non-imports at the ends, Johnson and McKay-Loescher, or is the latter just a backup for the former. The Cats this year seem commited to no more than one non-import on the D-line. Hopefully this will work out better than the unit that was dead last in the league with 26 sacks in 2008.

In other news, on cfl.ca, it has been reported that the BC Lions resigned former Cat WR O'Neil Wilson. Last year for the Cats, Wilson managed to get wide open numerous times and then fluff an easy catch repeatly before being run out of town. One wonders whether there wasn't a single better non-import WR BC could have signed instead than the excreable Wilson. I'll be watching his stats this year.

Also I'm restarting my quixotic quest to have TSN start broadcasting CFL preseason games. I'm not saying all of them, however I think two games between teams that were a good TV draw last year would make sense. With a bit of hype, you would probably get 200,000 viewers at least, as curious hardcore fans would tune in, plus before the season starts, hope springs eternal as everyone in theory has a chance, unlike the Cats after five games.

No comments: