Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Rest of the Draft

I suppose I should say something about the Cat picks beyond the second round.

In the third round, the Cats picked Scott McCuaig, a defensive lineman from UBC. I suppose we do need some help there. Third round picks are a bit of a reach.

In the fifth round we picked a running back from Laval, Guillaume Allard-Caméus. Ironic, considering that we wouldn't consider Jamall Lee, but I suppose special teams is the reason. Also in the fifth round, we picked Raymond Wladichuk, a defensive back from Simon Fraser. More special teams.

Finally in the sixth round, we had two picks. Cassidy Doneff, a wide receiver from Washburn, a university of which I have never heard (surely an august institution of higher learning). And last but not least, Bill McGrath, an offensive lineman from Indiana State (also I'm sure another august instituition of higher learning). Probably can't have too many offensive linemen, as those with the Cats tend to get injured a lot.

Some of these players probably have some university eligibility still left, so they can go back to school next year. I can't see anyone sticking around after camp after the third round, although there are sometimes surprises.

In other Hamilton news, it looks like Jim Balsillie of RIM will put in an offer on the bankrupt Phoenix Coyotes. I hope he honours his previous season ticket drive for Hamilton as I put down deposits for two tickets (I'm also hoping it goes to Hamilton, but if it has to play here in October, what other option is there but Copps?). If the team becomes a slam dunk and a new season ticket drive is launched, they will go pretty fast.

No comments: