Monday, June 13, 2011

Jordan Matechuk Commentary

Haven't got around to commenting on Ticat long snapper Jordan Matechuk's steroid arrest at the US border. I suppose the obvious thing to state is that if I have a crapload of steroids amongst other goodies, I'm not going to cut through the US border to save time. Sure the drive on the Ontario side of the Great Lakes is really long and tedious (I remember a somewhat ill-fated childhood journey to Expo 86 along that route, with my parents, my two sisters and one of my cousins and a neurotic German Shepherd in a 1981 Chevrolet Impala so I can understand the desire to save time), but the risk just isn't worth the extra hours of driving.

I suppose the other thing is that it shouldn't be much of a surprise that a CFL player is using steroids. The advantage to using them is significant and the CFL's testing policy isn't stringent. To lower use, there would have to be repeated testing during the pre-season and at training camp. Unfortuantely, with the CFL"s relatively low salaries, the cost of testing isn't justifiable.

No comments: